Monday, June 6, 2011

Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert

This is kind of a last minute, after thought of a post. We had the missionaries over for dinner tonight, (they are a couple of young men from another part of the country who came out here to help teach people about our church) and I made this super easy, yet seemingly impressive dessert. I was half way through putting it together when I thought about posting it. So the pictures start in the middle, but don't worry, it is way easy!!!! My 5 year old put it together for me!








The ingredients I used were Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches
                                           Cool Whip
                                           Hot Fudge topping
                                           Caramel topping

This is where I decided to take picture so I can blog about it. The first layer is done here and we are about to start on the second layer. Oh, and pay no attention to the clutter in the background! OOPS!
Adding the second layer. My son decided he needed to be in the pictures too, even though it was Danica who put the dessert together. :-)


All you need to do is put it all together in layers. I used a 9x13 glass dish, but you could use any size you want. As long as it is square or rectangle.

First - Put down a layer of ice cream sandwiches. Fill in as much of the pan as you can, even if you have to cut the sandwiches to fill in any small spaces. My pan fit 91/2 sandwiches.
Second - Spread a layer of cool whip over the sandwiches. This can be as thick or as thin as you like, but we like a thick layer of the stuff!!!
Third - Drizzle the caramel and hot fudge toppings over the cool whip. Again, as much or as little as you like. This is also a good spot to add whatever other "ice cream sundae" type toppings you like. I have done fresh strawberries (YUM) or crushed Heath bars (OHHHH). You could do chopped peanuts, or Maraschino Cherries, or heck, why not a drained can of crushed pineapple and sliced bananas? Anything really.
Fourth - Start the process all over again! Layer the sandwiches, then cool whip, then toppings! 
Last - Freeze the dessert for at least 3 to 4 hours before serving to let the ice cream re-harden. (Tip: Keep the sandwiches for the second layer in the freezer until you are ready to use them. They melt fast and can become very messy!)

Adding the second layer of Cool Whip.

Finished product! I usually do a pretty design with the drizzled toppings, but my 5 year old had fun doing her own design this time!

Notice the different layers? People will be impressed and wonder how you made cake layers so thin! at least, that has been my experience! Good Eats!

3 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work! The blog is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie! That means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I have had this before! Thad wants me to make it for the boys' bdays in October...I'll have to dream about it until then!

    ReplyDelete